The trials and tribulations of a 'would be' country girl trying to balance the desire to live 'the good life' in the country and the demands of an everyday full on home and working life.

Monday 2 August 2010

Life can be strange really, one day you are floating down the river on a friends boat thinking how wonderful life is and then before you know it you are charging round the house tidying away the debris of the weekend and collecting the washing, because when my partner left it on the floor last night he clearly believed my only job on a Monday morning would be collecting his cast off’s and returning them to his wardrobe as though they had never been warn, it’s that laundry fairy you see...the one that comes in when no-one is looking or so those that don’t even know where the washing machine is, believe. You see, I am one of those ‘working at home’ sorts that people can never quite get their heads round...'I was just passing so thought I’d drop in for a cuppa’ or ‘as you are at home could you just....’ i’m sure you get my drift!
Don’t get me wrong I love working from home, no long daily commute to work at hours of the day where it should clearly be illegal to travel. or driving at speeds where cyclists smile at you smugly as they thunder past you in lycra shorts which quite frankly should be illegal!
My office these days is a lovely garden room with walls of windows overlooking the garden from where I can stroll out when I see fit or pop next door to my neighbours to grab a coffee break. And then there are those times when I think that ‘popping’ to the shops in my work time might be quieter or when I can’t cope with walking past the washing up one more time without the need to do it before my next work task, a clean house helps me concentrate you know! And don’t get me started on the need to be checking facebook and Twitter...how on earth did we manage before we felt the need to communicate every aspect of our lives to anyone who cares to listen?
Once a week I do allow myself the guilty pleasure of sloping off to Pilate's for the morning and spend the rest of the day planning how I can find time each day to get to the gym, I’m still planning...
But for all of the distractions, the belief that if I am home I should have an immaculate house, I wish! And the constant balancing act of home life and work would I give it all up to work in an office, no bigger than my downstairs toilet...you must be kidding!