The trials and tribulations of a 'would be' country girl trying to balance the desire to live 'the good life' in the country and the demands of an everyday full on home and working life.

Tuesday 17 August 2010

boring rural idyll..I think not!

Who said life in rural idyll was boring? Certainly not me! Last night has to be the strangest evening I have had for a long time. Working away on my laptop as others snoozed at midnight I was met with the familiar sound cat owners everywhere will recognise and dread, the sound of your cat about to deliver you with a ‘gift’. Without disturbing the household I ran downstairs to be met by a true cat and mouse game. On seeing me said cat grabbed the mouse and legged it upstairs with me in hot pursuit. This mouse sure had spirit and after being dropped several times it proceeded to run into bedroom where the other half was snoring away...and I mean snoring! With lights on and squeals from me and the mouse the other half was dragged from his slumber to be greeted by me, the cat and the mouse! After several minutes of who can catch who first, cat decided she had enough and proceeded with mouse downstairs into the dark of the garden. Not to be petered and on a ‘I will rescue this mouse’ mission I followed with great speed! At this point the tale gets even crazier...and yes it is true! The mouse makes a dash for it and can be seen, as my eyes adjust to the darkness, zig zagging across the lawn with cat in full pursuit, I begin to follow the same path and soon we could be likened to a comedy trio or a scene from Tom and Jerry. As the cat is distracted by something rustling in the bushes I take my chance and grab the mouse with the intent of releasing this cute little thing to safer pastures! ‘CUTE’ little thing bites me, talk about biting the hand that feeds you! Said mouse is dropped as I reel back with shock and throw in a couple of expletives for good measure! The mouse is last seen snaking its way across the lawn with cat in hot pursuit once again, oh and the rustling...as I walk into the house nursing my bite and wondering if I could in fact use this to my advantage, desperate times require desperate measures, as a reason for an extension to completing a 4000 word essay I have to write in less than two weeks, the rustler presents itself...the hedgehog that appears to have taken up residence over the last week has come to see what all the commotion is about....just another boring day in our rural Idyll...I think not!